Working with DZI single image collections and Jellyfish

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:07 PM
Edited Jun 8, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Jellyfish isn't new to me, i've had a lot of success making fully dynamic picture album viewers for many customers. Recently, I was asked to make jellyfish display single high resolution images as apposed to a regular album collection. Now, I'm sure the first question people might ask is why would you want to? What if you wanted to give the option to display one large image and use Jellyfish to explore the image up close. Actually, Jellyfish can do this without any problem, what my issue is how it's done. When working with Jellyfish DeepZoom, I learned of two types of Deep Zoom Image compositions, the DZC (Deep Zoom Collection) and the DZI (Deep Zoom Image or Composition). At this point I've been using DZCs and from my understanding for every single image collection there would be two sets of image output files effectively doubling the amount of files needed for each image. The DZIs only consist of one composition of images and would be more ideal in this case. I've tried having Jellyfish load DZIs without any error but only displays the image statically as if it were a regular MultiScaleImage control. Is it possible or has anyone ever had Jellyfish work with simple DZIs for single image compositions. In this case I should probably just be using the MultiScaleImage control but I would like to avoid it since Jellyfish is such a great control to work with and has a lot of great features. Thanks :)

Here is an idea of their structure of both types of DeepZoom composition.

DZC:

/dzc_output_files/...
/dzc_output_images/...
dzc_output.xml
SparseImageSceneGraph.xml

DZI:

/dzc_output_files/...
dzc_output.xml
SparseImageSceneGraph.xml

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Hi EvilBuzz

I agree your opinion :)

However, the specification of Jellyfish is based on both of DZC & DZI.

This is also the Microsoft specification of Deep Zoom Technology.

kazumichi

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Thanks Kaz,

I had a feeling you were going to say that :). But it's a conclusion I was ready to accept. I will most likely start something by extending the MultiScaleImage that can work with a single DZI Image composition and including some functionality that improves single Image exploration. I was thinking of maybe the ability of making notes or taking snapshots directly on ultra large images for editor's or landscapers or anyone else that would benefit from such a tool. Not sure yet, I will have to spec it and explore some ideas. If anyone can think of anything for this future app, feel free to shoot it my way. If something does come out of this project I will release it to the community as long as my boss doesn't mind :).

Cheers.